top of page
Search

Safe Drinking Water- Camping & Cottaging

Updated: Jun 5


Safe drinking water means the water is free from bacteria and viruses. These pathogens are most often present in lake, well and cistern water. You cannot see them, and you cannot taste them, so they are difficult to detect.  The water may look and taste just fine, but if the water is contaminated it will make you VERY sick. No one wants a week ruined by waterborne bacteria.






So what can you do to protect yourself from waterborne bacteria?


  1. If you own a cottage, have the water tested for bacteria at least once a year.  Oftentimes the local municipality will do this test for free. They have special bottles you can pick up, then fill it up with a water sample for testing. While you wait for results, drink bottled water to be safe.  If the water test comes back positive for bacteria (such as e.coli or coliform),don't worry, you can treat the water to ensure the safety of you and your guest. Installing an Ultra Violet Light System where the water enters the cottage will ensure the bacteria and virus are killed on contact.  There are many sizes and options available:


In our next blog we’ll talk about the importance of sizing and  maintaining your Ultra Violet System to optimize results and keep the water pure, clean and safe. 


2. If you’re renting a cottage, be sure to ask the owners if the water is treated with Ultra Violet or another type of system that kills bacteria. Most cottages draw water from the lake or a well, which 9 times out of 10 will contain bacteria. If the water is not treated, ask for a recent negative bacteria report, or better yet, bring some bottled water to drink and cook with. Even if a bacteria test came back negative at one time, it can change the next day! With the heat of the sun warming up the lakes it makes for a prime breeding ground for bacteria.


3. Campers, bring bottled water with you to drink and cook with. Whether you have a trailer or are tenting it, the water quality at campgrounds varies greatly. It is supposed to be safe and regulated, however to gain consistent bacteria free water on a large scale ( as in servicing many trailers) the campgrounds have to add so much chlorine. So your water may not have bacteria but the levels of chlorine may be so high, giving an awful taste to your water- so much so that you may not drink enough water and we know in the summer heat drinking more water is necessary. So skip the guesswork and bring a large 18L jug with a pump for easy dispensing.


Follow these tips above to keep you and your family safe from avoidable illness this summer as you travel, so you can enjoy your time away!


11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page